It is the primary purpose of the organization to provide professional development opportunities for practicing professionals within the field of college/university communications, in both Virginia and the District of Columbia, with an emphasis on programs and educational opportunities for those new to the field and for experienced professionals alike.
Additional aspects of the mission, ranked in order of importance as part of the organization's five-year plan, are:
- to provide opportunities for interaction and "networking" among members and colleagues in Virginia and the District of Columbia;
- to provide opportunities for interaction between members and representatives of the news media;
- to provide the opportunity for membership and participation in the organization solely by virtue of a person's professional responsibilities within the field of communications at a college/university in Virginia or the District of Columbia;
- to facilitate an increased appreciation and understanding of the role of college/university communications professionals by the news media, college administrators and faculty, state legislators, alumni, general public and other constituency groups;
- to facilitate an increased appreciation and understanding of the role of Virginia's colleges and universities by members of the state legislature, the general public and other constituency groups;
- to recognize and honor exceptional achievement within the profession;
- to make a contribution to the field of college/university communications through efforts of the organization and/or individuals within the organization;
- to offer low-cost one-day educational conferences and programs that emphasize the efficient and effective use of employee time and institutional resources;
- to provide opportunities for members to visit college campuses throughout Virginia and the District of Columbia, using the "host institution" concept for holding conferences, so that members gain an increased understanding and awareness of institutions within the Association.
(This mission statement was first adopted by the Board of Directors at the Peaks of Otter planning retreat on August 13, 1993, and reaffirmed at the Board's Peaks of Otter planning retreat on July 8, 2005.)